From: "Kieran Cleary" <kcleary@tinet.ie>
Subject: (urth) Witches & eclipse-maker
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:28:30 +0000

As someone who is eagerly awaiting a copy of the Lexicon, I have a
rag-tag bundle of questions which I remember being puzzled about during my last
read of New Sun:

- what is the appropriate technological analogue of the device (?)
the witches were looking at on Severian's visit to their tower. I
remember it being described a a table-like object with a glass
surface, through which small hairless animals were visible on some
sort of miniature landscape. A holographic remote-viewing device?
Were they watching the eclectics? And just what kind of "magic" do the
witches practice?

-what was the enigmatic large object teasingly referred to in Wolfe's
translator's notes at the end of Citadel which caused the eclipse?

-are the corridors that Severian wandered through en route to the
atrium of time just metaphors for the Corridors of Time or is there
some type of literal connection?

-why did the green man not know of the New Sun if he came from the
future most likely after the New Sun?

-Jonas & Miles: what's the connection? Is Miles the personality from whose
biological spare parts Jonas was reconstructed after his ship
crashed?

Lasrach

Kieran Cleary
Senior Research Engineer