From: Reusch <newsun@freeway.net>
Subject: (urth) let it be, let it be
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 97 07:50:36

OK, TBoTNS was a *wonderful* book, but I can't help feeling that, with
Mantis' excellent Lexicon, and all of the time and discussion which has
revolved about it, it's being hashed to death. Why do we all continue to
read Wolfe's books, the same book several times? Because each time we
find another question, or the answer to a previous mystery. That's what
makes it interesting. I, for one, would like to see a few mysteries
remain in TBotNS. Let's open this up to include some of Wolfe's
less-discussed, more obscure works.

Like Castleview! The first time that I read this book, I remember
thinking that reading each chapter was like watching an episode of Twin
Peaks. You had no idea what just happened, or what was just about to
happen. The second time through, I thought that I had a handle on it, up
until the final scene in front of the castle. Can someone enlighten me,
considering that I don't know much more of the Arthurian mythos than does
Hollywood?

And how about Peace? I've read the book several times without penetrating
past the notion that it's more or less a collection of short stories
which are in some way tied to the memories/fantasies of the dead or dying
central character, sort of like Bradbury's Illustrated Man. What am I
missing?

Well, I can't help but throw one question/observation out about Urth of
the New Sun. The writing style of this books starts out dramatically
different than the four which precede it. Has anyone noticed this, or
thought why? At first I thought that it was just less polished by Wolfe,
but now I wonder. A different author? Severian 1, or Severian 2?  Any
thoughts on this one?

Vance

<--prev V1 next-->