From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
Subject: Re: (urth) People Interview?
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 07:45:49

> [Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]
>
> Like an idiot, I missed the People interview. I was sitting on
> the couch when it was going on thinking "A whole evening to
> myself... what should I do with it? Maybe there's something good
> on TV..." There wasn't, and I ended up cleaning the kitchen.
>  Imagine the slap I gave myself the next morning when I realized
> what I'd missed.
>  So, figuring second-hand experience would just have to do, I
> went over to the People page to read the transcript. But it
> wasn't there. And these lists haven't been filled with excited
> discussion in the interview's wake. Did it occur? Anyone have a
> transcript?
>

> -cephalothorax-

cephalothorax,

	I tried to join the People chat but the "ichat" plug-in software kept
crashing on me. The following day their chat system was down. I don't
know if it went off as planned. Anyone have more details?

	I, too, have noticed the dearth of discussion since the "Lupine"
Express left the station, (from the Whorl list). This may indicate that we
don't know what we should think about Wolfe's fiction pending his answers,
even though we had plenty of opinions before. Shouldn't a work of fiction
stand on the content of the text alone and not on the opinion of critics,
fans, or even the author? Regardless of the intent, a novel is just that,
a novel, anything additional is just commentary. In joke telling, it
spoils the fun if it has to be explained. Don't expect Wolfe to give away
any punch lines. Note:  This did not hinder me from buying a ticket on the
train. I want to know the answers as much as anyone.

=Talon=

<--prev V1 next-->