From: "Jason Voegele" <voegele.6@osu.edu>
Subject: (urth) The Quiet Urth
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:08:51

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BCDE8F.711F5660

And a silence descended upon the Urth like none that was ever known =
before...

Well, it's been a while since I've posted here, mostly because we've =
been discussing books/stories I haven't yet read.  Anyone up for a =
dissection of The Fifth Head of Cerberus?  It seems, for some reason, =
that Christian symbolism is a good place to start off.

Of course, there's the obvious Satan imagery--666 Maltimbaque (?) St., =
the "black scarf and scarlet dressing gown" that No. 5's "father" wears, =
etc.  What is it that Wolfe is trying to say here?  Is science/knowledge =
a great evil in Wolfe's mind, or only the misuse of it?  If the latter, =
what is the line that the protaganist has crossed which makes his/his =
father's actions immoral?  Am I being too banal?  Aah well, just thought =
I'd provide a catalyst.

As an aside, I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Wolfe a couple of weeks =
ago.  He was here in Columbus, Ohio for the "Context X" convention.  By =
pure chance, I bumped into him as I was registering for the convention.  =
I told him that I wouldn't be able to make the "Meet the Authors" =
session and he kindly offered to sign a couple of books for me--a copy =
of Peace and my leather-bound copy of  Shadow.  (David Brin was the =
other guest of honor and I had brought a copy of Startide Rising for him =
to sign.  Wolfe offered to sign that one for me as well, claiming that =
he knew how to spell "Brin".)

He was very friendly and approachable, and chatted with me more for ten =
minutes or so.  I mentioned our mailing list, although he appeared to =
know about it already.  I also asked him if he'd had the opportunity to =
watch City of Lost Children yet, and he told me that he was waiting for =
company to come over and watch it with him--oops, I wasn't supposed to =
mention that to mantis :)

Anyway, after meeting the man, and hearing his fascinating brand of oral =
story-telling, he's very like how I'd imagined him, although with a =
lighter-hearted nature and more of a Texas drawl.  It's easy to see his =
characters within him, even if they are much more extreme (or should I =
say Severe) in some fashion.  It's an experience that sheds a great deal =
of light on his work, and I hope those of you who haven't yet had the =
chance to talk to him will soon do so.  (And those of you who have met =
him will kindly forgive me for rambling :)

Jason Voegele--eisegesis