From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Saltimbanque vs. counterfeit
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 21:15:20

Okay, I went back and looked it up, instead of relying on memory.

Italian, Spanish, and English are not New Orleans, and this is definitely
New Orleans.

In French, saltimbanque means "charlatan." Sorry for saying
"counterfeiter," though that's close. Given the hell associations, the 666,
the whorehouse, and the generally evil experiments of Mr. Million, I'd say
"Satan as charlatan" was clearly in Wolfe's mind. Not that the story is an
allegory, or something. But the last line of the original novella is a
chiller if this line of clones is really an "antichrist"!

Nutria

<--prev V5 next-->