From: "Jason Voegele" <voegele.6@osu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Time
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 14:18:53

------=_NextPart_000_00D4_01BD2FE5.7DB879E0

vizcacha wrote:
>Deep Time:  The hardest thing to believe about TBOTNS taking place 50
>million years in the future is that _so little_ has changed.  People =
are
>still people, exactly as they are now.  The average species lasts on =
the
>order of three million years.  Even with all sorts of advanced
>technology, would 50 million years have changed so little?

This is not exactly true.  I'm as yet unable to track down the =
reference, but I'm sure that the text mentions somewhere that the people =
of Sev's  era have evolved quite a bit from the Homo Sapiens Sapiens =
that we know today.  Or maybe it's in one of Wolfe's essays.  Anyway, =
this could support the FAR future setting for  The Book...if only I =
could track it down.  Of course, I've been looking for the "Coke bottle =
beaches" reference for some time too.  Methinks the hour is anon for =
another reading.

Jason

------=_NextPart_000_00D4_01BD2FE5.7DB879E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>vizcacha wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;Deep Time:&nbsp; The hardest thing to believe about TBOTNS =
taking place=20
50<BR>&gt;million years in the future is that _so little_ has =
changed.&nbsp;=20
People are<BR>&gt;still people, exactly as they are now.&nbsp; The =
average=20
species lasts on the<BR>&gt;order of three million years.&nbsp; Even =
with all=20
sorts of advanced<BR>&gt;technology, would 50 million years have changed =
so=20
little?<BR></DIV>
<DIV>This is not exactly true.&nbsp; I'm as yet unable to track down the =

reference, but I'm <EM>sure </EM>that the text mentions somewhere that =
the=20
people of Sev's&nbsp; era have evolved quite a bit from the <EM>Homo =
Sapiens=20
Sapiens</EM><EM> </EM>that we know today.&nbsp; Or maybe it's in one of =
Wolfe's=20
essays.&nbsp; Anyway, this could support the FAR future setting =
for&nbsp; The=20
Book...if only I could track it down.&nbsp; Of course, I've been looking =
for the=20
&quot;Coke bottle beaches&quot; reference for some time too.&nbsp; =
Methinks the=20
hour is anon for another reading.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jason</DIV></BODY></HTML>