From: "Tony Ellis" <tellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) Of lost books and millenia
Date: 4 Feb 1998 10:58:36 +0100

                                                                      =
03/02/98
                                                                      =
09:36
 Of lost books and millenia

Alga wrote:
>teliss, I love your locution, but Ultan's mythic Alexandrian Library is
>hardly Thecla's "local library!"

<g>
The point I was really trying to make is that you don't ask for
a "lost" book from any kind of library. If Ultan's library really does
extend to other times and places, well and good, but if even
someone as un-academically minded as Thecla knows that
you can find TBOTNS there, TBOTNS is surely not lost.

I suppose one answer might be that Thecla never asked for
TBOTNS by name, but for some differently-named book which
just happened to be a BOTNS text, or perhaps simply for
"a book on the Conciliator".

David Lebling wrote:
>On geography, to CRCulver:  The action of the tetralogy takes place in
>South America, and yet there is a great river that flows southwestward
>over a plain, and great mountains to the north and east of the plain.
>This isn't _our_ South America.

I hate to use the "C" word, but is there any chance you could
provide citations for the mountains-to-the-east claim? Or at least
point me in the right direction?

>Deep Time:  The hardest thing to believe about TBOTNS taking place 50
>million years in the future is that _so little_ has changed.  People are
>still people, exactly as they are now.  The average species lasts on the
>order of three million years.  Even with all sorts of advanced
>technology, would 50 million years have changed so little?

The average species hasn't discovered civilisation. Evolution
requires a nasty, cuthroat competitive environment, where the
least genetic advantage or disadvantage decides who survives and
who doesn't. Humanity more-or-less stopped evolving when it
started caring for the sick and the weak.) Whoops, that sounds
a tad pro-Nazi, sorry...)

Having said that, I think you're right anyway that 50 million
years is just too damn far in future. My money is on any
number between two to nine million.

Mantis wrote:
>Re: the polychrome sand, I know what you mean, but no, I don't know
>where it is at the moment.

TCOTA, the chapter near the end where Severian is on the beach
and re-discovers the Claw. I think.