From: "Jason Voegele" <voegele.6@osu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Of lost books and millenia
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 00:58:39

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BD329A.5D0FA260

    David Lebling wrote:
    >On geography, to CRCulver:  The action of the tetralogy takes place =
in
    >South America, and yet there is a great river that flows =
southwestward
    >over a plain, and great mountains to the north and east of the =
plain.
    >This isn't _our_ South America.=20
   =20
    I hate to use the "C" word, but is there any chance you could
    provide citations for the mountains-to-the-east claim? Or at least
    point me in the right direction?=20
   =20
I think this crops up when Severian comes to Typhon's little home in the =
mountains.  I've heard two theories.  One, Urth's magnetic poles have =
flip-flopped, thus North and South have taken on the opposite meaning =
that we are accustomed to.  Two, Severian has some sort of =
depth-perception problem (sorry, can't recall the technical term) which =
causes him Somehow to confuse left/right/east/west etc.

Jason Voegele

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BD329A.5D0FA260

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <DIV>David Lebling wrote:<BR>&gt;On geography, to CRCulver:&nbsp; =
The action=20
    of the tetralogy takes place in<BR>&gt;South America, and yet there =
is a=20
    great river that flows southwestward<BR>&gt;over a plain, and great=20
    mountains to the north and east of the plain.<BR>&gt;This isn't =
_our_ South=20
    America. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I hate to use the &quot;C&quot; word, but is there any chance =
you=20
    could<BR>provide citations for the mountains-to-the-east claim? Or =
at=20
    least<BR>point me in the right direction? </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV>I think this crops up when Severian comes to Typhon's little home =
in the=20
mountains.&nbsp; I've heard two theories.&nbsp; One, Urth's magnetic =
poles have=20
flip-flopped, thus North and South have taken on the opposite meaning =
that we=20
are accustomed to.&nbsp; Two, Severian has some sort of depth-perception =
problem=20
(sorry, can't recall the technical term) which causes him Somehow to =
confuse=20
left/right/east/west etc.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jason Voegele</DIV>