From: m.driussi@genie.geis.com
Subject: (urth) Mirrors, Apports
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 98 15:56:00 GMT

Reply:  Item #0858372 from URTH@LISTS.BEST.COM@INET#

Kieran Cleary,

Re: the endpoint destination from magic mirrors in Briah, in "The
Cat" we are told creatures which enter the circle are "circumfused
to the borders of Briah" (ES, p. 214); the autarch offers a shortcut
to "the Garden (Yesod)" when he shows Severian the book of mirrors
(II, ch. 21)--true, this could be just a shortcut to the ship Tzadkiel,
similar to the shortcut to the ship Tzadkiel used from the interior of
worldship Yesod (V, ch. 23) . . .

Borders of Briah, hmmm.  "Borderlands" in this context seems more
like Brook Madregot or corridors of time if it is not Yesod.
"Circumfused" uses the image of "spread out" which is used in other
cases of talking about mirror destinations, or so I believe.

Re: apports.  Based upon the one case we have, apports seem to be
reflections (of sailors who pass in front of the mirrors) that come
to life on their own.  Are all apports really spawn of Hierogrammates
as Venant was of Tzadkiel?