From: m.driussi@genie.geis.com
Subject: (urth) Books etc.
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 98 01:12:00 GMT

Reply:  Item #2720808 from URTH@LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

alga,

THE FLIGHT TO LUCIFER is the title you'd rather not remember. <evil
grin>

I like your plan for Week One.  (The challenge or difficulty I think
in trying to assemble a sillybus is that some books apply too
generally and others too specifically to only one scene.)  THE DYING
EARTH is appropriately general to TBOTNS and specific as well: the
general being the science fantasy decadent far future mileau, of
course, and the specifics including how "Ulan Dhor Ends a Dream"
links directly to the resurrection of the Stone Town at the end of
CLAW; how "T'sais" and the magics which created her are echoed in
the experiments of Baldanders, Dr. Talos, and the Student; maybe
even "Liane the Wayfarer" is Vodalus?

THE JUNGLE BOOK should be a fast and easy read, but maybe excerpts?
"Mowgli and His Brothers" (if I've got the name right) is a must.

Okay, excerpts from Borges BOIB and FICCIONES.  From BOIB:
 "Baldanders"
 "The Chinese Phoenix"
 "The Crocotta and the Leucrocotta" (too specific?)
 "Fauna of Mirrors"
 "The Norns"
 "The Peryton" (too specific?)
 "The Phoenix"
 "The Salamander" (too specific?)
 "The Simurgh" (too specific?)
 "Talos"
 "The Uroboros"

Hmmmm . . . THE DYING EARTH and THE JUNGLE BOOK and these extracts .
. . the week should probably be called "Oriental Fabulations:
Fabulous Orientations."