From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) cover art and easy questions
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 00:39:45

>>>I do have one question I'm hoping someone here can help me with:
>>>Does anyone know the artist who did the cover art for "The Book of the
>>>New Sun" tetralogy?
>>
>>Mike,
>>
>>Ooooh! An easy question! I'll answer it!
>>
>>Don Maitz is the artist in question.

>>William Ansley
>
>I agree that's probably the set Mike wants, but I should point out that
>there are others: I have an Arrow edition from around 1987 with
>(unexciting) covers by one Peter Andrew Jones. There was also an earlier
>edition (not sure if this was also by Arrow) with rather nice covers by
>(I think) Bruce Pennington.
>Matt Freestone

Aaaaarrrgh! I should have known! There are no easy questions involving
Wolfe. 8->

Thanks very much to Tony Ellis for putting up the Bruce Pennington cover
paintings. I like them better than the Maitz versions. They strike me as
"old fashioned" somehow. (This is not necessarily a bad thing.) Perhaps it
is because they are scans of worn covers, but I would have guessed that the
books were published at least 25 years ago, just judging from the cover
art. They remind me slightly of Gray Morrow's work, although I am not sure
this would hold up after a side-by-side comparison.

William Ansley