From: "Dan'l Danehy Oakes" <DDANEHYO@us.oracle.com>
Subject: (urth) Just a weird thought re: Peace
Date: 17 May 98 15:48:51

--=_ORCL_20740901_0_0
Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit

Hi --

Just been rereading PEACE.  Fascinated by the structure (a
story of a man haunted by stories telling stories about
storytellers tellign stories of haunts).  Nothing much new
to offer up, but for this:  it occurs to me that Weer's
Aunt Olivia -- after keeping three suitors at arms'
length for who-knows-how-long -- seems to have decided,
in the end, to marry the man who told the best story.
Sound like anyone from, say, CITADEL...?

(Actually, the party where Smart tells his tale reminds
me not a little of Lord Byron's famous house party that
led ultimately to the publication of Polidori's VAMPYRE
and Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN: A bunch of men and one
woman with very "advanced" ideas sitting about telling
ghost stories...  Any odds whether Wolfe is likely to
have had this in mind or no?)

Weer says Smart is the central character of his yarn;
I think it's Olivia.

--Roach