From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: Re:  (urth) Inire's...Things
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:50:46 EDT

After a forced absence (I haven't read FHoC, darnit!) I am happy to be
contributing now that the BotNS is being discussed again.

Mantis said:
<But there is the "isochronon," a gift to the autarch from the ruler of some
other planet (III, ch. 34) which might be a nightwatch robot or just a
mechanical clock.>

I always thought it was the water clock mentioned in another part of the text
(no citation at the moment, I'm afraid).

Mantis continued:
<But it just seems so =different= from Inire's style.>

Inire's technology appears to be magic, it is so different from the somewhat-
real science of the ship of Tzadkiel. A lumbering thing isn't what I would
thing of as a creation of Father Inire.

Mantis also said:
<(In a Tolkien setting it would be, what, a Balrog coming up the
volcano vent?)>

Yes, and the man-apes would represent the Orcs of Moria. This scene always
struck me as taken right from Tolkien; so much so that the "thing" which
lumbers out of the depths would be a living thing and not a machine.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
"The darkest dreams are the ones that come true."
-Warren Defever