From: adam louis stephanides <astephan@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: (urth) Wolfe's Lamarckism
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 13:58:33

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 Craig Christensen wrote:

> >Maybe you can explain why Wolfe defends Lamarckism (explicitly
> >and implicitly), but never really explains why.
>
> and, I've read the same thing elsewhere in the archives.  Could you point
> me to some examples of this?  I'd like to read those over.

A couple of examples I've recently come across:

In CASTLE OF DAYS, p. 225, he explicitly states his belief in Lamarckism.

In URTH OF THE NEW SUN there's a brief passage that seems most easily
explained Lamarckially (Lamarckianally?): "On Urth, the mystes know that
each continent has its own pattern for mankind, so that if people from one
shift their abode to another, they will in a short time--fifty generations
or so--come to resemble the original inhabitants." (73 of hardcover)

--Adam