From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v014.n008
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:54:39

Rostrum wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Alice Turner wrote:
>
>> You make a good argument wrt Marsch's humanity and villainy, but there's
>> strong evidence against it, and that is his bright green eyes--the boy
and
>> his mother both have bright green eyes, and that is not a human shade.
The
>> boy also has pale skin and dark hair, as does the Marsch we see.
>
>Anyone care to make a prediction whether we'll be genetically
>re-engineering eye color before or after we have interstellar colonies?

Well, yes, I'm sure we will...but we're analyzing a Wolfe book where he
plays by rules of his own. And a particular point in made re "Marsch's"
eyes--they are mentioned as a curiosity on each of his appearances in 5HC.
And, in VRT, the diarist (Marsch, for argument) makes a point of the boy's
eyes, and the boy, remembering, makes a point of his mother's eyes.  I'd say
this qualifies as a bona fide Wolfe clue, and a hindrance to the Sarge's
theory.

-alga-