From: Wesley Parsons <WRP@adorno.com>
Subject: (urth) Wolfe's Women (There Are Doors) -Reply
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:31:08

One of Wolfe's points indeed seems to be that biology not culture
determines sex roles.  You change the biology, and you flip the sex roles.
Male post-coital demise changes who is in charge (the President is
female), who pursues whom (the women compete for attention and the
men are choosy), and who is more emotional or spontaneous (men have
to be very emotionally committed, or irresponsible, to have sex).

One way of looking at the difference Wolfe has created between the two
worlds is this:  In our world the burden of procreation falls  mainly on
women, who carry and nurse the child.  In the other world, the burden
falls even harder on men, who die.  This burden is a cost that affects
differentially the behavior of the two sexes.

>>> Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu> 06/30/98 01:53pm >>>

I forward this post from rec.arts.sf.written with Mr. Gilbert's
permission.  I'd be interested to hear what others think of the way Wolfe
writes about women and sex roles, but I don't have much myself to offer
on
the subject.  Maybe this will stir something up.