From: mary whalen <marewhalen@YAHOO.com>
Subject: (urth) Black hole vs. wormhole
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:36:12

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

I'm afraid I must defend my remarks on the nature of black holes.

Jason Voegele asserts that a black hole is not a guzzler, but has only
the gravitational effect of any other object of the same mass.  This
is absolutely true.  However, if a massive object were to be near
enough to touch the sun, let alone be within it, without revolving
around it at nearly the speed of light, the two would merge into a
larger object consisting of both the components.  If the massive
object were a black hole, in the merging the end result would be a
large black hole, as no black hole can be destroyed by the addition of
new mass or transformed into any other class of object.  The
absorbtion effects are not limited to the Schwartzchild radius.  This
measure is the size of the radius of a black hole in comparison to its
mass; a ratio relationship. The SR is thus the size of a black hole of
a specific mass; that is, the mass can be exactly determined by the
size of the black hole. The SR is merely, then, the size of the hole,
the distance from the center at which matter can only escape by moving
directly away from the hole at the speed of light.  Anything closer,
by definition, is inside of the hole.  It's gravitational effects can
be felt over an infinite distance, which increases in area at the
speed of light, which is also the speed at which gravity propagates.
The sun is slowly sucking everything in the universe into itself, as
is everything, but most things are moving away from it much faster
than its gravity absorbs matter inwards.  In addition, Einsteinian
mechanics and quantum mechanics are the sciences which describe some
events of a black hole as opposed to Newtonian mechanics.  If you are
far away from the hole, it will be just like a massive object of the
same mass would be, as I meant when in my post I described that the
distant Urth would be circling the black hole, not falling into it.
However, if an object is close to a black hole and not moving away
very quickly (as it would certainly would not be doing if the black
hole were inside of it) it will be sucked in because of gravity, just
as a bird falls to the Earth if it stops flying.

prion