From: "Mark Millman" <Mark_Millman@hmco.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) A Solar Labyrinth
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:39:32

Robert Borski wrote:
>> I thought it was pretty much how tv insidiously
>> takes over some people's lives; i.e., we become
>> so enchanted by the maze, we're reluctant to
>> leave and thus will always be vicarious "armchair
>> adventurers" rather than actual participants in
>> life. I find this notion scary, anyway.

to which William Ansley replied:
> I can't explain what Wolfe means by this, but I
> can't accept your explanation as I'm sure I've
> made all too plain. One thing I did notice on
> rereading "A Solar Labyrinth" to prepare this
> response is that when Mr. Smith and the solitary
> child are "playing in the sunshine" at the end of
> the story it is approaching noon, at which time the
> maze will be insoluble.  Why the maze should be
> insoluble when the shadows are shortest I don't
> know, but the child will be trapped and perhaps
> the Minotaur can pounce at this point. I have
> always associated Mr. Smith with the Minotaur,
> although I can give no textual evidence for this.

and Peter Westlake (Spectacled Bear) added:
> The Minotaur hides in the shadows.
> But at noon, there are no shadows.

The maze may be insoluble at noon because, in the ideal (i.e., equatorial)
situation at least, the maze disappears at noon.  If its not there, it
can't be solved.

And the maze hides the the solvers from the Minotaur just as much as it
hides the Minotaur from the solvers.  When the maze disappears, not only is
the Minotaur revealed, but he is also unconstrained by stealth or walls.

Mark Millman