From: mary whalen <marewhalen@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth)  Re:  Cues
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 21:33:30

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

William Ansley, I'm glad that you reminded me about the part in cues
where the first bowling ball talks about the universe being infinite
with your question about the universe not being infinitely bright if
it is infinitely large and filled with stars.  The reason that the
universe is not overwhelmed by heat is that it is NOT infinite.  This
is the currently held scientific belief, and I agree with it.  It has
been known for many years.  It is based on many different
observations, but these aren't important.

Another possible, but unlikely, reason would be the fact that even if
the universe were infinite in size, it has only existed for around 15
billion years and the light from all but the closest stars hasn't yet
reached Earth.  Most scientists think this is very unlikely, but I
just thought I'd include it as an alternative explanation if you want
it.

This point also shows that the not-so-young man is not very smart,
along with the ones that you mentioned.  More importantly, it it one
of the examples that show that the bowling balls are not above lying.
This further undermines its flawed assertation about an infinite
number of cues being available.

prion