From: David Duffy <davidD@qimr.edu.au>
Subject: (urth) Re: Castleview
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:04:02 +1000 (EST)

I originally thought the story must take place on Halloween, but it
is most likely to be Samhain (7th November), the New Year and start of
Winter or Geimhreadh (Gaelic).  I suspect _The Golden Bough_ would be a
good reference for a death of the old king, a competition (?) for his
wife and home, plus a replacement/scapegoat to allow the Summer King to
survive and wait until his turn comes around at Beltaine.

For those as ignorant as me, the _Valse Triste_ was written as
accompaniment to a scene where a dying woman dreams of a ball, and
mistaking Death for her husband, starts to dance with him.