From: "Alex David Groce" <adgroce@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Weer is not dead.
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:29:57

On Aug 27, 12:46am, William H. Ansley wrote:
> Olivia Weer (and her relationship with Alden Weer) is certainly a very
> large, important and interesting part of the book. I intend to post about
> it when I finish my "critical" rereading of _Peace_.

Not to go for the overt psycho-analysis school (which would probably be an
especially bad idea with Wolfe, but he has said that Weer is closer to him than
most think), but wasn't his mother's name Olivia?

> As far as murder goes, I think a better case can be made for Weer killing
> someone other than Bobby Black. Because I am out of time  for today, I will
> leave this as an exercise for the reader. <g>
>
> William Ansley

Aye.  I know the various Weer as murderer/Weer as serial killer eliminating the
whole cast of characters theories.  I'm just skeptical.  You can make a case
for the librarian, possibly, more tenatively for Sherry Gold.  I just don't buy
the cases I've heard.  On the other hand, I think the Professor did kill Aunt
Olivia (Wolfe in the interview suggests there is at least one murder--something
like "I'm trying to remember who killed who in that book") with his car.
	I think the thing that tends to lead people to suspect Weer of murder
is his odd habit of mentioning someone over and over and then suddenly
completely avoiding their name.  It is strange, but I tend to view it more as
when he has "come to peace" with that person, bound another dead soul to his.
He's finished with them, their memo is on the pad, and no more needs to be
said.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32