From: "Tony A. West" <severian@luna.email.ne.jp>
Subject: (urth) another new subscriber....
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:29:17 +0900

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BDD42A.F3BFF340

Hello everyone; having perused the Archives of this discussion group, I =
must say you all have shard wonderful ideas about TBotNS, quite =
stirring!  Without any further ado, and without making myself seem more =
a fool than I already must seem (!), I have a question to pose to you =
(whether or not it has already been addressed, I don't know; I wasn't =
able to read all of the Archives!):

In Urth of the New Sun, Severian meets Ossipago, Barbatus and Famulimus =
for what is apparently his last time, and their first.  However, as much =
sense as that may make, it seems to be contradicted just as Severian and =
Burgundofora are about to exit the Ship, in the "hall made for crying," =
when the three Hierodules appear again!  This then must be their first =
meeting; or were both meetings somehow the first in the apparent lack of =
"linear" time?  Some Eastern religions, most remarkably Tantric =
Buddhism, believe in a sort of "spiral" time, whereas a religion like =
Hinduism and many others believe in "cyclical" time.... might the rather =
"spiral" architectural tastes of Yesod reflect a distinct alteration in =
the flow of time, i.e. spiral time?  Just some sophomoric ideas I wanted =
to throw out, I would love to hear what you all have to say!

Confused on a small tropical island in southern Japan,

Tony West

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BDD42A.F3BFF340

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello everyone; having perused the =
Archives of=20
this discussion group, I must say you all have shard wonderful ideas =
about=20
TBotNS, quite stirring!&nbsp; Without any further ado, and without =
making myself=20
seem more a fool than I already must seem (!), I have a question to pose =
to you=20
(whether or not it has already been addressed, I don't know; I wasn't =
able to=20
read all of the Archives!):</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>In Urth of the New Sun, Severian =
meets Ossipago,=20
Barbatus and Famulimus for what is apparently his last time, and their=20
first.&nbsp; However, as much sense as that may make, it seems to be=20
contradicted just as Severian and Burgundofora are about to exit the =
Ship, in=20
the &quot;hall made for crying,&quot; when the three Hierodules appear=20
again!&nbsp; This then must be their first meeting; or were both =
meetings=20
somehow the first in the apparent lack of &quot;linear&quot; time?&nbsp; =
Some=20
Eastern religions, most remarkably Tantric Buddhism, believe in a sort =
of=20
&quot;spiral&quot; time, whereas a religion like Hinduism and many =
others=20
believe in &quot;cyclical&quot; time.... might the rather =
&quot;spiral&quot;=20
architectural tastes of Yesod reflect a distinct alteration in the flow =
of time,=20
i.e. spiral time?&nbsp; Just some sophomoric ideas I wanted to throw =
out, I=20
would love to hear what you all have to say!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Confused on a small tropical island =
in southern=20
Japan,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Tony West</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BDD42A.F3BFF340--