From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: (urth) Free Live Free
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:11:20 +0100

David Wells wrote:
> -       The whole book (and I don't think this is really a spoiler unless
> you've read it!) is essentially an allegory about the properties of
> composite materials. Yes, I do think this a weird thing to write a novel
> about ;-).

No offence intended, but having read Free Live Free several times, I
can't for the life of me see how you arrive at this conclusion! I'm
intrigued - could you explain, please?

John Clute says that it's a re-telling of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,
and I can certainly see that.

To throw in my two pence, I have always found Free Live Free
fascinating, funny, and - far from being a one-trick-pony - packed with
ideas and unusual insights. Christopher R. Culver asked in his original
post "what style is it", and I would respond that one of this novel's
great strengths is that it doesn't fit into any one pigeonhole. Like
"Titus Groan" it's one of those books you can give to someone and say
with total confidence "this isn't like anything else you've read
before".