From: Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>
Subject: Re: (urth) Valeria and Catherine and Peter and Doug
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:46:47 +0200

Charles Dye wrote:
> [1] Has anyone seen Bruce Willis in "Twelve Monkeys?"  I thought that flick
> has a pronounced wolvish feel to it.  I spent most of the movie wondering
> whether Willis's character was a time traveler or just insane, before
> realizing that he could be both....

For a time I thought so, but I finally found the film wasn't ambiguous
enough: there seemed to be just the one interpretation that finally
worked, unless he had some impressively consistent fantasies.  Maybe
I've read too much Wolfe?  But it's normal for films to be much more
explicit than books, it's the nature of the medium.  That would be the
real problem with a New Sun film, even more than the casting.  The
only ambiguities filmmakers tend to let through are wallopping big
ones made with a sledgehammer, _this_ _is_ _ambiguous_.  I felt that a
bit about Blade Runner, for example: it doesn't make any kind of sense
to me for Deckard to be a replicant but look!  We've made an
ambiguity.  (Too cynical?  Never mind the cyn, write it anyway.)

corncrake
--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/