From: Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v019.n018
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:51:29 +0200

alga wrote:
> Second, no, I don't think for a moment that the archives/library is guarded
> by taluses, I think it is "guarded" by librarians, of whom the latest
> guardian is Ultan...

absolutely... even if I can't follow Severian's family tree [is there
a pun about this at the Inn of Lost Loves?  maybe I shouldn't start
this one off] it does appear to be pretty clear this time.  Is there
any evidence in the story that the place with the volumes, scrolls and
the series of guardians *can't* be the library, which is the obvious
explanation?  I worry about accepting obvious explanations, too, but
you can't really dispose of them till they fail to fit.

corncrake