From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (urth) Apheta in Greek/English
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 98 14:34:00 GMT

Re: Apheta.

As "starting place" is given in, I believe, OXFORD HANDBOOK OF
CLASSICAL LITERATURE.  Along with several so named starting places
from Greek mythology.  Implication being that this is how it was used
by Greek speakers in early times.

As astrological term (essentially "starting place of your horoscope,
the star of your birth"). Right, this is how the word has been used by
non-classicist English speakers--astrology buffs. Given in the OED.

Of course, English wasn't spoken when Greek mythology was in
formation, but both meanings are correct.  It all depends upon the
given application.

(I look forward to seeing what anybody can do with the OED entry for
"Severian.")