From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v022.n002
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 11:06:20

At 10:18 AM 12/3/98 -0500, Rostrum wrote:
>N.T. Wright's _Jesus and the Victory of God_ argues that Crossan et. al.
>misread Jesus and the early church by abstracting them too much from the
>context of first century Judaism.  There's a good review of it here:
>
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gsmunro/wright.html

I'll check him out. The review doesn't give me much sense of his position
or his criticism of Crossan, but I certainly need to read some other
authors. Crossan fits my own prejudices well, though, which is certainly
one of the reasons I like him.

I will point out that Crossan himself does not seem to subscribe to the
worst excess of The Jesus Seminar, but has sometimes been treated as if he
does. Burton Mack, another leading Jesus Seminar scholar, is much more
virulently anti-miracle, anti-faith than is Crossan--Mack seems to be angry
at every one of the authors of the New Testament.

Some of Crossan's views seem explicitly idiosyncratic, but he's also very
good about identifying those--for instance, his insistence in _Who Killed
Jesus?_ that the crucifixion/resurrection narrative in _The Gospel of
Peter_ actually *predates* the canonical gospels is clearly a minority
opinion, but he argues for it quite well.

Anyway, it's fun stuff.

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html