From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) Re: The Wonderful Eyeflash of Oz, part 3.5
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 16:09:45 +0000

William H. Ansley wrote:

> This is what I want help with: I am sure that Little Tib thinking
about
> riding on a cattle truck and then a garbage truck and then having a
vehicle
> stop for him is a reference to something that I should know, but I
can't
> bring anything definite to mind.

It reminds me immediately of the story of Ymar in BOTNS, where he waits
under a tree
while the merchant goes by, and the beautiful woman, and finally follows
the dog.
But that suggests to me in turn that both incidents are allusions to
another,
original, story which stands behind both, and maybe that's the one that
you're
thinking of.

The message of humility makes me think of Christ's teachings, but it
also has the
feel of a Taoist or Buddist parable. Do any of our resident religious
scholars
hear bells ringing?