From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: re: Re: (urth) re: Are TBOTNS and UOTNS Christian Texts?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:26:55 +0100

Rostrum wrote:

> Or are you suggesting that Tzad isn't referring to Jesus at all, but
> rather yet another "conciliator" figure in a different universe who is
> neither a version of Severian nor Jesus?

Almost. The Conciliator is Christ-like, but he's not Christ. So when
Tzad talks about a Conciliator in his universe he -is- talking about
another Severian, but not another Christ. As I see it.

The alternative is to assume that somehow Sev's Earth can have had a
history identical to ours to the point of having a NASA-style man on the
Moon, another St Catherine, another Jungle Book, another Edward
Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khyam and even another Frankenstein,
all without ever having had a Christ.