From: Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>
Subject: Re: (urth) Earth to Urth Pt 3: Addenda
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:48:39 +0200

Nigel Price wrote:
> Also meant to mention the thematic connection between the free board and
> lodging provided for the young couple in "Kevin Malone" with the titular
> free board and lodging provided in "Free Live Free".  Any one else agree
> that the latter is also, in some perverse and deeply fascinating Lupine
> way, an allegory of Grace?

Actually, maybe that's the only way to understand it... the characters
blunder around senselessly for most of the novel so that even Free himself
gets infuriated, and at the end are given a second chance anyway.  But it's
a pretty iffy notion of salvation... a second chance to the same things all
over again, or maybe not.  It's as if grace should lead one into doing
works... isn't that almost what you were saying before?

> "Carry On Torturer": Barbara Windsor IS Thecla!

No, I'm sorry, that's going too far.  That leaves Joan Sims for Dorcas and
Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jacques to play Dr Talos and Jolenta ("Ohhhh,
maaytron!")

corncrake