From: Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>
Subject: Re: (urth) Jonas in the Antechamber
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 16:05:43 +0200

David_Lebling@avid.com wrote:
> My take on this, ever since first reading _New Sun_, is that a major part of
> Jonas' distress is the realization of how much time has passed on Urth since
> his
> departure. He tells the fairly straightforward story of the _Fortunate Cloud'
> s_
> return, remarking that the spaceport wasn't where they expected it to be (bad
> info, continental drift, or what?).

What, presumably: it's turned into a citadel, with torturers, witches,
magic atria, homunculi, the works.  Nowhere a hard-working sailor can land
a spaceship any more.  (Borskian exercise: now prove that the Matachin
tower is part of Jonas' ship having passed through a time-warp.  Way beyond
my competence, but maybe someone out there...)

corncrake