From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) Hethor's mirrors: further reflection
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:01:30 +0100

Mitchell A. Bailey wrote:

> It seems nearly obvious that Hethor's "mirror" is specula-sailcloth
> stolen from the Ship.

And mantis:

> As for a bit of sailcloth, hmm.  That's interesting!  I was just thinking
> that maybe it was the pocketbook edition of THE BOOK OF MIRRORS . . .

I like both these ideas, but the trouble is Father Inire says in his
letter that Agia remains a plausible commander "as long as the mirrors
of the caller Hethor remain unbroken" (Citadel, XXXV). "Unbroken" does
rather suggest that these are the old-fashioned, rigid,
seven-years-bad-luck mirrors that we know today rather than fabric.
Inire -could- have meant "unbroken" in the sense of "still working", but
it seems unlikely.

Since apports appear out of the space -between- mirrors, rather than out
of the mirrors themselves, I suppose they don't actually have to be that
large.