From: Alex Groce <agroce+@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: (urth) The Bolds in PEACE
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:19:47

I've found the answer to one of the first questions I ever asked on the
list--whether Eleanor Bold's name in PEACE being the name of the character
in BARCHESTER TOWERS had any significance.  Apparently, I hadn't reread
PEACE since becoming a Trollope fan.  On page 77 of the Orb edition, Weer
mentions that Eleanor was "as outspoken as the judge's favorite author
could have wished," and on 79 Eleanor states that Stewart Blaine came to
the Bold house to "play chess with Poppa and talk about Dickens and
Anthony Trollope."  So, Barbara Black (nee Bold) and Eleanor are named
after the Warden's daughter and her sister-in-law in BARCHESTER TOWERS.

For whatever that is worth.  I'm also gathering some evidence for my
hypothesis that Weer's ghost is woken up at a time when America has (for
whatever reason) reverted to wilderness, presumably a LONG time after he
died.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce@cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science