From: "Mitchell A. Bailey" <MAB@lindau.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Typhon Era Fliers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:24:05

Macronaut wrote:...
> An earlier post remarked on the ... locust-like fliers in the era of > Typhon ...Could the locust-shaped fliers be attack helicoptors of some
> sort? ...

I seem to recall that Sev compared their "thrumming" sound as well as
looks to that of locusts. That thought occurred to me during a period
when we had an unusual amount of military copter traffic around here AND
the usual early autumn grasshopper invasion. The hoppers make a racket
very like little 'copters.

Another thought floated up unbidden like a denizen of the Lake of Birds,
who spat up its lead slingstones, even as I write: one of the final
plagues in Revelation involved "locusts" which ascend from the Pit and
attack people. Did Wolfe want to evoke that reference, tangentially?
Make of that what you will.