From: "Jonathan Laidlow" <LAIDLOJM@hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: (urth) Dorcas' death in childbirth
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:36:17 GMT

Hello folks,

I'm only barely keeping up with Urth at the moment - welcome to all
the new posters. I'm very pleased to see that all discussion of Short
Sun is being kept on the Whorl list - copies have yet to filter into the
UK as far as I can tell. I'm currently rereading Long Sun in
preparation.

On the Dorcas post - what a fascinating essay Roy! It deserves
more study before I respond in full, but perhaps I could answer the
point about Dorcas' death in childbirth.

You say that death in childbirth is a fictional device, and may just be
Caron's way of avoiding the issue. Now as recently as the
eighteenth century (and the nineteenth) death in childbirth was very
very common. To give an eighteenth century example which I've
picked up from my studies of Laurence Sterne, if a cesaerian was
required then the mother would die. There was no recorded
example of a mother surviving such an operation.  Many more
children would die during childhood, hence the need for large
families to help in the family employment, whatever that might be.

Now Urth does have hi-tech resources, but they are not available to
everyone, and I doubt very much that they were available to Dorcas
and Caron. I presume that medical knowledge for the masses was
at best at a pre-20th century level, and thus if Dorcas did indeed
have a difficult pregnancy, then she would likely not have survived.

A similar point about her age - before the twentieth century
daughters would often be married away straight after adolescence.
This was obviously much more common for poor families than for
rich. Even in fiction (and I'm thinking of that whole genre of novels
where a poor girl marries 'upwards' in society - Samuel
Richardson's 'Pamela' is perhaps the best C18 example) the girls
are usually very young. They would have been indentured as
servants as soon as possible, so that their poor family did not have
to support them any longer.

Jonathan
Visit Ultan's Library - A Gene Wolfe web resource
http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/index.htm
Jonathan Laidlow
University of Birmingham, UK