From: Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@apocalypse.org>
Subject: Re: (urth) Aw Hell (Giants)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:01:08

Jim Henley wrote:

>I can't help remembering the old Ben Bova science columns that ran in Boy's
>Life back in my scouting days. (This was more than, oh, ten years ago. And
>I do mean "more.") One month, by way of teaching the SCL, he set out to
>design a giant crab. By the end of the article, after all the compromises
>and efficiencies were accounted for, the "giant crab" turned out to be -
>Tyrannosaurous Rex!

Omigoodness.

Whenever I hear anyone mention the square-cube law, this very article leaps
instantly into my mind. I had no idea it was by Ben Bova (what did I know
from Bovas at that age?). And I have always recalled it as an insect he was
scaling up.

But no matter. A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, brave...

Thanks for confirming this memory.

Ron H-E
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>