From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) What is a "satisfactory" narrator?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:23:32 PDT

William Ansley:

snip:
"Whether Severian is a reliable narrator or not, he is certainly an
unsatisfactory one by any of the usual standards of story telling."

But what ARE the "usual standards" of storytelling? What does it take for a
narrator to be "satisfactory"? Literature is full of unreliable and
inconsistent narrators who leave most of the work to the reader.

Is Ishmael, the completely enigmatic and often inconsistent narrator of
"Moby Dick" -- satisfactory?

What about the poet who narrates "Paradise Lost" -- wherein the reader is
expected to weed through the arguments and speeches in order to fill in
what's missing, what's wrong, and what is intentionally deceiving?

What about the narrator(s) of "The Sound and the Fury" -- in which the
reader supplies nearly ALL the details of the plot based on subtle clues?

How do we define a satisfactory narrator? For that matter, does the plot
need to be linear and explained in order to qualify as good storytelling?
(Of course, some people don't like the epics, and some people don't like
modernism....)

Here's my point--or rather my question--isn't Gene Wolfe, through Severian,
asking us to examine the way we perceive storytelling? Consider that
storytelling is thousands of years old, and has passed through many
forms--at one time it was an oral form in which the audience was invited to
participate.

Consider the modern Japanese--I don't know about their stories, but in their
nonfiction, they consider it an insult to the reader if they outright state
the conclusion for the reader. The reader is expected to put the pieces
together and draw the conclusion.

Severian's fictional audience may not expect the same manner of storytelling
that we expect. "The Book of the New Sun" should really be treated--for all
intents and purposes--as a work translated from another culture. That, after
all, is the effect that Wolfe is trying to achieve.

My 2 cents,
Daniel