From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) Re: narratives
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:32:51

Rostrum wrote:

> We have some data to consider the question.  Severian repeats several
> stories not of his own invention.  Do they show any of the same
> idiosyncrasies as Severian's narrative?

What would it matter if they did? They're stories. Severian is writing about something that actually
happened. We can't expect his narrative to reflect the ideosyncrasies of storytelling in his age if he
doesn't think he's telling a story - any more than we could expect John Major's recently published
memoir to use Magic Realism or Burroughs' cut-up technique. (If only it did!)