From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Fairy Tale logic
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 18:06:11 PST

Hello, Michael.

(snip)
"So it may be the case that some have gone "too far" in using a science
fictional reading of Severian's Narrative, but it is within a context of
earlier readings that were completely blind to sf elements.  It is a valid
tool, but it does not have universal application throughout the text--yet
often the only way to tell if a sf rationale works for a given detail is to
actually try it out."

In the words of Tevye the dairyman (from "Fiddler on the Roof") -- "You are
also right."

I wonder about your comments on an alchemical interpretation of Typhon,
however. Typhon is connected both to the temptation of Christ in the
wilderness and to classical mythology--and these connections seem to me far
clearer and more useful than a connection to an alchemical symbol.

Here are my objections:

First--Piaton is not a woman.

Second--The two-headed man is a symbol all over the place--not just in
alchemy.

Third--What does Typhon have to do with alchemy? Unless you're trying to
draw a vague connection to the "dark arts" in attempting to "make" a
man--via Mary Shelley, etc.... But that leaps back to necromancy, not
alchemy.

Fourth--If Typhon is related to an alchemical symbol--then just what does
that mean? Is it a statement about alchemy? Is it a statement about Typhon's
science or society? What relevance does it have?

Anyway, I'm skeptical.

(By the way, thought I'd mention--I enjoyed your book! And, incidentally,
another definition for Erebus--in Roman mythology, Erebus is the hell into
which Jupiter cast the Titans who aided Saturn in attempting to overthrow
him. And the Titans were giants, in one sense. Seems relevant, so I thought
I'd mention it.)

Daniel