From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Jim, about those scientists....
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 00:22:41

>I just remembered that in "The Sword of the Lictor," Severian speaks of the
>scientists to whom people go when they want to become zoanthropes. Are these
>good scientists or bad scientists? They'd be pretty awful in OUR society, I
>imagine. But in Severian's society?

This irresistibly conjures up (to my mind at least) an alternative version
of _The Wizard of Oz_ (perhaps it is one of the stories in the Brown Book
we don't get to see) where Dorothy steps out of her flying house in (what
is taken to be) a white lab coat and is asked by the Scientist of the
North...

You fill in the rest (or ask alga).

William Ansley