From: Carlos Martinho <carlosom71@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Baptism vs. Resurrection
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 08:00:43

> I suppose it's possible both things symbols are
> being
> used simultaneously, but the resurrection of Christ
> seems to fit better than his baptism by John.

Thanks for the impressive amount of info & insight! I
read the books almost an year ago, and I didn't
remmembered all the death-sybbols at the Gyoll
submersion -- I was mostly guessing when I wrote about
the baptism. Anyway, now I really believe that both
symbols (resurrection and baptism) are entangled in
the Gyoll episode. After all, Severian's "public
career" begins after the submersion, just as

"The nostalgia of things unknown, of lands forgotten or
 unfound, is upon me at times. Often I
 long for the gleam of yellow suns upon terraces
 of translucent azure marble, mocking the
windless waters of lakes unfathomably calm"

Clark Ashton Smith, "Nostalgia of the Unknown"
Do You Yahoo!?