From: Carlos Martinho <carlosom71@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Baptism vs. Resurrection
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 08:00:43

> I suppose it's possible both things symbols are
> being
> used simultaneously, but the resurrection of Christ
> seems to fit better than his baptism by John.

Thanks for the impressive amount of info & insight! I
read the books almost an year ago, and I didn't
remmembered all the death-sybbols at the Gyoll
submersion -- I was mostly guessing when I wrote about
the baptism. Anyway, now I really believe that both
symbols (resurrection and baptism) are entangled in
the Gyoll episode. After all, Severian's "public
career" begins after the submersion, just as
Jesus's...

=====
"The nostalgia of things unknown, of lands forgotten or
 unfound, is upon me at times. Often I
 long for the gleam of yellow suns upon terraces
 of translucent azure marble, mocking the
windless waters of lakes unfathomably calm"

Clark Ashton Smith, "Nostalgia of the Unknown"