From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n080
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 14:48:16

At 09:55 AM 11/7/99 -0500, alga wrote:
>Yes, Nick, but you missed my point, and that of others. It is when Clute
>dumbs down his prose that he is readable and useful. What we are all
>objecting to is the absurd high-falutin'ness of his prose in this review,
>the clog of academe.

I would say that Clute sometimes lets his joy of language get in the way of
his communication. Fortunately, this is only an occasional lapse.

It is almost always possible to explain even a very complex idea very
simply; sometimes it takes a great deal of effort to do so. (There's a joke
wandering around to the effect of:

And Jesus asked them, "And who is it that you say that I am?"
And the Apostles answered, "You are the kergyma of our metaphyisical
grounding."
And Jesus said, "Say what?"

that I think could apply to Clute's writing sometimes.)

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html