From: Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@apocalypse.org>
Subject: Re: (urth) Stuff, Temptation
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:10:32

At 05:46 PM 11/22/99 -0600, you wrote:

>In another vein--when Sev went to the House Azure he saw a door with "...a
>stained-glass insert showing the Temptation." I take the allusion to be to
>the Conciliator rather than Christ. If so, and the Temptation refers to the
>scene where Typhon tempted Sev, then how did the story get into popular
>tradition to become a subject of artistic expression? Sev hadn't lived the
>scene yet, much less written of it. He wasn't even the Conciliator yet when
>it happened. What was it based on? Or, like Jesus's prayers in Gethsemane
>when there was no one awake to hear and record them, we're not supposed to
>ask?

Time travel is tricky. It may be that at some point after the New Sun
comes, Sev returns to the time of the Old Sun and recounts his story (in
his role as Conciliator) to a believing audience. After all, how did
*anyone* know *anything* about the Conciliator when Sev was only a child?
It may also be that another "version" of Sev either underwent a separate
temptation and/or described the Temptation to someone.

I am near the end of _Shadow_ in my most recent reading of TBOTNS; I will
keep an eye out for answers to this question, which has puzzled me at times
too. I'm a little vague on the whole aquastor thing, frankly.

Speaking of which, does anyone agree with my assessment that (a) Triskele
was already dead, and is an aquastor from the moment Sev touches him and he
opens his eyes, and that (b) it is likely that it is the aquastor Malrubius
who is caring for Triskele on his forays away from Sev?

Ron H-E
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>
Center for Ludic Synergy:        <http://www.ludism.org/>