From: "Fr.Inire" <inire@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth) Re:Infrared, light and darkness
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 08:09:02

> mantis wrote:
> [snip]
> >>Thus, by analogy: there is some sort of energy
> circuit that feeds demigods
> and gods (for another Wolfe example: the way that
> the Earth Mother goddess
> in the Soldier books comes to eat the blood of the
> human sacrifices--this
> is the Blood Circuit, and it probably plays a much
> larger part throughout
> Wolfe's work than we think at first).  We know from
> the text that Severian
> is being powered by the white fountain (the Claw
> might be an independent
> regulator or just a dummy light); it seems pretty
> clear that the light from
> the white fountain can be blocked by Urth's mass (it
> needs a direct line of
> sight), and in a pinch Severian can draw from a
> starship's battery, or even
> somehow the energy of an earthquake (or was that the
> energy of sunlight on
> the ground?).  In any event, Severian is something
> of an energy vampire.<<
> [snip]
just had a whild-ass thought: Sev as chem? I had this
thought back when I first read the book, but no-one
treats him as such and I don't recall any other hints
but the reliance on a power source, the taking of
unconventional energy sources....hmmm....

Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller
"The idea of verifying facts about
the world through controlled repetition seems alien to just about everyone
with the _possible_ exception of Fr Inire, and he's a bug-eyed space
monster . . ."-Jim Henley
Heavy Gear Swap @ http://freecenter.digiweb.com/games/severian/swap.html
Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!        '82 GS650G
Do You Yahoo!?