From: "Fr.Inire" <inire@yahoo.com>
Subject: (urth) Re:Infrared, light and darkness
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 08:09:02

> mantis wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >>Thus, by analogy: there is some sort of energy
> circuit that feeds demigods
> and gods (for another Wolfe example: the way that
> the Earth Mother goddess
> in the Soldier books comes to eat the blood of the
> human sacrifices--this
> is the Blood Circuit, and it probably plays a much
> larger part throughout
> Wolfe's work than we think at first).  We know from
> the text that Severian
> is being powered by the white fountain (the Claw
> might be an independent
> regulator or just a dummy light); it seems pretty
> clear that the light from
> the white fountain can be blocked by Urth's mass (it
> needs a direct line of
> sight), and in a pinch Severian can draw from a
> starship's battery, or even
> somehow the energy of an earthquake (or was that the
> energy of sunlight on
> the ground?).  In any event, Severian is something
> of an energy vampire.<<
> [snip]

just had a whild-ass thought: Sev as chem? I had this
thought back when I first read the book, but no-one
treats him as such and I don't recall any other hints
but the reliance on a power source, the taking of
unconventional energy sources....hmmm....

=====
Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller
"The idea of verifying facts about
the world through controlled repetition seems alien to just about everyone
with the _possible_ exception of Fr Inire, and he's a bug-eyed space
monster . . ."-Jim Henley
Heavy Gear Swap @ http://freecenter.digiweb.com/games/severian/swap.html
Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!        '82 GS650G