From: "Clifford Drane" <dranec@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) Tracking Song haunts me
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 21:36:12 CST

I keep thinking about the story "The Tracking Song", enough to search the
Urth lists for insight. This seems to be one of the most obscure Wolfe tales
- I have an idea that doesn't exactly explain many details, but might be a
start of another way of thinking about the story. I tend to shoot from the
hip, get excited about a theory (see my infrequent posting) to then see it
shot down. I submit myself to the firing squad once again. :)

I think The Tracking Song could be a story about the origins of an aborigine
myth, not told in the way an elder tells a youngster a story to explain
Creation or somesuch belief. But told as if the myth truly happened, from
the first person WITHOUT completely reducing the magic to science (that's
the key). I recall Mailer's Ancient Evenings, and the very detailed
retelling of the main story behind the Egyptian mythos - how details were
told without destroying or explaining away the magic. Also, if any of you
saw the animated version of Watership Down - the brilliant prelude which
tails the tail of Creation from the standpoint of rabbits (ok, so who got
that pun?). The "realities" in each of those stories were interwoven with
the myth - and I think we're encountering Gene's version of this with the
typical omitted-detail-method-of-telling-a-story-by-not-telling-a-story that
is his calling card.

I think Tracking Song could be taking us inside a world that still lives in
the mythological. I also think trying to find an American Indian (or other
culture) parallel myth is a red herring.

Blindfold, please. :)

CCD