From: "Fr.Inire" <inire@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) TBOTNS FAQ
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:54:18

--- "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net> wrote:
> Christy <cglst7+@pitt.edu> wrote:
>
><snippo>
> >
> >Is it the duty of the FAQ to initiate one into the
> "mysteries" of TBOTNS?
> >Or to initiate one into the method of reading Gene
> Wolfe?
>
> Neither. A FAQ is a list of frequently asked
> questions and their answers.
> It is a device invented to prevent people from
> posting the same question
> over and over in a newsgroup (at which task is has
> generally been a notable
> failure) and to relieve other people from having to
> reply with the same
> answer over and over or ignore the question (at
> which task it is a fair
> success; of course the response, "read the FAQ" must
> be posted over and
> over, but this is a lot less effort).

	But I can see where Christy may have gotten that idea
from the 'debate' so far (as i read it, anyway). The
FAQ is starting to sounds like a episode of Dueling
Dogmas for the list and Wolfean knowledge, and not
really an expansive attempt to help experts and
neophytes alike gain some context or coherency when
they have a question about some twist or turn or
another.

<snip>

> What you are talking about, Christy, is not a FAQ. I
> would say it sounds
> like a books or at least a collection of essays.
> Perhaps it is mantis's
> book; I don't know if he covers all the ground you
> mention, I haven't yet
> decided to buy a copy. If it does, perhaps mantis
> would provide us with a
> group discount and send a copy to everyone on this
> list (lurkers included)
> <G>.

THAT is an excellent idea. I already have my copy,
natch ;->, but it is a useful and comprehensive
listing. Philosophy and generalities are not it's
strength, but for anyone who took the time to sign up
for this list, it is required (IMNSHO).

=====
Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller
"The idea of verifying facts about the world through controlled repetition seems alien to just about everyone with the _possible_ exception of Fr Inire, and he's a bug-eyed space monster
 . . ."-Jim Henley

Heavy Gear Swap @ http://freecenter.digiweb.com/games/severian/meet.html
Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!        '82 GS650G