From: "Greene, Carlton" <CGreene2@hunton.com>
Subject: RE: (urth) Typhon and Pas
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:55:01

I always understood that the chiliarch was protecting against news of
Typhon's weakened, post-operative condition, and not the fact that he would
be sporting two heads for a while.  Although we might see Typhon's status as
horridly embarrasing, it might also be seen as an impressive, god-like
display of magical technology.    Such a display is consistent with Typhon's
deity status on the Whorl generation ship.  It is also a peculiarly
symbol-laden technological achievement, and gives Typhon more of the
mythological touches that a good deity needs.  A two-headed man has a rich
grounding in myth (Janus and fairy tale giants spring to mind), much more so
than a man who achieves immortality by taking a high-tech multivitamin.

As a practical matter, it might have taken too long for Typhon to wait for
his spare head to atrophy before returning to his empire, leading him to
make the best of it and exploit his two-heads' symbolism as best he could.
Are we told how long it would take for Piaton to atrophy?

Having said all this, it does seem odd that he would choose his two-headed
self as the self-image he bequeathed to posterity aboard the whorl, given
that he planned a return to one-headedness.  Maybe the mythological power of
that symbol was more important than the man he would become.

C/