From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) STRANGE TRAVELERS
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 20:52:58

At 12:05 AM 12/31/99 -0800, you wrote:
>For anyone who may have been deterred from reading
>STRANGE TRAVELERS by negative or nonexistent
>publicity: get the book.

I'm ready to start discussing this. How about it? Everybody got his or her
copy yet?
	A few I've read before, being published in mainstream SF sources. Most
were originally published in odd places, and heretofor hard to find. My
initial impression, for reading a half dozen, is that there are a LOT of
religious allegories in this collection. In fact, I'll be interested to see
if perhaps that is the organizing theme of this particular book. The title
could easily fit (strange travelers being humanity, God, and the devil,
travelling together....)
	Let me skip so as not to spoil, and take up one story.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
	The story called "1, 2, 3, etc." (I dont' have my copy here, and that's
only approximate). Anybody want to analyze this one? Is it a tossaway, or a
more serious story? The other story from the place this was originally
published is an allegory of life from a Christian standpoint. As for "123
etc", I missed any clues as to what the white powder is supposed to be, or
why dialing a phone would have brought it. Cocaine? Something else, like
cocaine but deadly? There's probably a larger grid around this story that
explains it. Anybody wanna give it a shot?

Nutria