From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) one-two-three for me
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:49:36

So far, although I just finished "And When They Appear," I think this
collection is good but grim, even for Wolfe--who does not tend to be cheery
at short lengths.  I've read "The Ziggurat" before, and think it's one of
his very best.  It seems to me there's an interesting contrast here--a drift
in theme--Wolfe's always had stories about the collapse of society ("Paul's
Treehouse," "Hour of Trust," "Seven American Nights") and about the prisons
of identity ("The Fifth Head of Cerberus," "The Doctor of Death Island," etc.)
and many that are intensely about both, as reflections of each other--internal
and external collapse ("Forlesen," "Seven American Nights," "V.R.T").  I think
this collection, so far at least, reflects a drift towards exploration of the
collapse of the whole society as opposed to the individual--it seems to also
show a change from NEW SUN--these societies, rather than sacrificing their
emotions/"humanity" and going forth to conquer the universe are losing their
souls without even conquering anything.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+@cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department