From: Patri10629@AOL.COM
Subject: (urth) Re:Maximum Delusion theory--Ziggurat
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:08:32 EST

Must agree with Alga and Nutria.

Swanwick's reading seems cockamamie to me.  I mean where do we point at the
text and say: There! He's a totally untrustworthy narrator? See? Where do we
see some evidence of self-delusion, true psychosis? Where do we see him as
murderous? All the violence in the story is directed at himself. And in
self-defense at the end. Where do we see him threatening, wishing harm or ill
on the coyote, his son, his children, his wife? Cloning? Where do we get
cloning? Sure there's an analogy between the 3 woman and the women in his
life. But cloning?

The text does not suggest this to me after 4 readings.

This reading, as far as I can tell, demands that we deny 90% of what we're
told happened in the story.

Wish I could expand, but must go. It's a dreadful interpretation of what I
take to be a story of reconciliation between the sexes not madness or incest.

But that's my take.

Rave on lupines!

Patrick O'leary